May 20, 2019
In 1999, Robin La Fontaine was a consultant. He became a consultant after being made redundant - and it was good, for a while. However, with his engineering background, Robin couldn’t escape the desire to actually make something - and that’s how DeltaXML was born.
It started off with, as Robin says ‘one and a half people’ and has grown in the past two decades to a business with 20 people - and more on the way!
In this episode, Kevin will find out how DeltaXML achieved such growth; what drove this desire to make something - and exactly what Delta AND XML is.
Robin is incredibly honest about his ScaleUp journey, and covers:
- How important a good accountant is. In fact, Robin’s accountant stopped them going out of business in the early days!
- Why having an office can be overrated
- The challenge involved in taking on a sales person
- What it feels like to not really have any competition in the marketplace
- The lessons learned from quick growth in a short amount of time.
- How being the leader of a company involves a lot of letting go
Robin is clearly passionate and committed to an area of business that is an alien landscape to many of us - but the lessons that he talks about, and the challenges he encounters in his ScaleUp journey are entirely universal.
In each episode, Kevin Brent from BizSmart will speak to people about their business journey; how they learned to take their company to the next level - and the advice that can be passed on to other business owners and startups everywhere.
Scaling up your business isn't easy, and can be a little daunting. Let ScaleUp Radio make it a little easier for you. With guests who have been where you are now, and can offer their thoughts and advice on several aspects of business. ScaleUp Radio is the business podcast you've been waiting for.