Dec 16, 2019
We’ve heard a lot of stories on ScaleUp Radio over the past few episodes, of people starting their business after working for the family firm, or leaving university and stumbling into a career - but William Copley from Armstrong Bell did none of those things. He went to New York and signed a 3-album deal with a major record company.
Thankfully, for his clients at least, the music dream didn’t last and now Will runs Armstrong Bell - a telecommunications company with a staff of 16.
Listening to Will, you’ll hear that it’s not been an easy journey to get to this point, but he’s managed to create a company that has it’s own identity in a busy marketplace.
As always on ScaleUp Radio, there was a lot of ground covered, including:
- What separates Armstrong Bell from the other telecommunications companies that are out there?
- How best to divorce a business partner, and particularly about buying them out of the business. Is there a “right” way to do it?
- Identifying the best process to remove yourself from the day to day business operations - without losing your feel for the business. Will employed a Business Manager - Rob - and the two of them shaped how the business should run, and how Will could take a step back from the day-to-day tasks.
- How big a part imagination should play in the growth of your business
- Why failing quickly is an important lesson to learn
Will is very deliberate in his answers, but what’s refreshing is his desire to keep learning, keep growing - and not stand still.
I think you’re going to enjoy this one.
This is also the last episode of 2019. Don’t worry, there’s more to come in 2020, but we’re taking a couple of weeks off for Christmas. So, thank you for listening to ScaleUp Radio in 2019 and here’s wishing you a successful festive period.
What Got You Here Won’t Get You There by Marshall Goldsmith can be found here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Got-Here-Wont-There/dp/1846681375/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1KIAE1VUXPXEI&keywords=what+got+you+here+won%27t+get+you+there&qid=1576152285&sprefix=what+got+%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-1
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick M. Lencioni can be found here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Dysfunctions-Team-Leadership-Lencioni/dp/0787960756/ref=sr_1_1?crid=BIW7WWFI5MYL&keywords=5+dysfunctions+of+a+team&qid=1576152352&sprefix=5+d%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-1
Games People Play by Eric Berne can be found here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Games-People-Play-Psychology-Relationships/dp/0241257476/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QH0KPYTMTDVD&keywords=the+games+people+play&qid=1576152400&sprefix=the+games+pe%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1
The Adam Buxton Podcast can be found here: https://adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts
Will can be contacted at www.armstrongbell.co.uk
Scaling up your business isn't easy, and can be a little daunting. Let ScaleUp Radio make it a little easier for you. With guests who have been where you are now, and can offer their thoughts and advice on several aspects of business. ScaleUp Radio is the business podcast you've been waiting for.